Single serve coffee makers are a revolution for coffee drinkers. It has never been easier to brew a great cup of coffee. They have reinvented the way we drink coffee at home and it is just like bringing your favorite coffee-house into your kitchen. There are many machines to choose between and it can be difficult to decide among the many. This article will help you make your decision so you get one that best fits all your needs.
A single serve coffee maker is a coffee machine that brews one cup of coffee at the time. Using an individual coffee capsule for each brew makes it easy and quick to serve a fresh cup of coffee. Single serve coffee makers are great for individuality as they allow you to customize your coffee just the way you prefer it. Many people can benefit from this coffee brewing system, they are both used by individuals living on their own that don't want to brew a whole pot of coffee each time, but they are also great for families that don't have the same taste in coffee. Maybe one member of the family is a coffee drinker where another one prefers tea.
What has made single serve coffee makers so popular is the fact that they are so versatile. There is a wide selection of high-quality premium coffee capsules available and a coffee drinker has never seen so many varieties before just with one click. Most single serve coffee makers make both hot and cold beverages and the varieties are endless, starting from plain black coffee, to latte, tea, chai, and cocoa in all sort of variations.
Deciding on the best single serve coffee maker
When you decide to buy a single serve coffee maker there are certain things to be aware of before purchase. There are many machines to choose from, so you have to make sure that you get one that really fits all your needs.
The first thing is to decide on how much customization you need. If you live alone you might already have your preferences and you don't need a lot of choices. Maybe you have a family or you want to put the machine in your office for several people to share it. The different brands have different kinds of customization options ranging from 2-6 cup sizes, adjustable water temperature, instant hot / cold alternation and advanced timer settings.
All these features can be tempting but the question you need to ask yourself is if you really need them. An automatic on / off timer can be a great feature for an office, but do you really need it in your home, when it takes only 3 minutes to heat up? Or do you have a tendency to forget to close your coffee maker when you leave your home? We all have our personal matters here, so it is important that you are aware of your needs before you buy a coffee machine.
Here are some of the most common features
- Removable water reservoir. Look at the size and think what size you need. If it is small it needs filling often, so this depends on how many cups you will brew per day.
- Cup sizes. Think about how many you need. Do you need many different or is a standard mug and travel cup enough for you.
- Display, clock and timer. If you prefer to use automatic settings, then this is important. You can program the machine to be ready first thing in the morning so it is ready to brew when you get out of bed.
- Dish washer safe. If you are not a great fan of cleaning then you might like that you can put the parts in the dish washer.
- Reusable filters. Some brands allow reusable filters that you can fill ups with your own favorite ground coffee. This way you are not limited to a specific brand but you have more freedom.
- Charcoal water filter and BPA-free parts . These are also important features to consider as they will give you a healthier coffee experience.
And, most importantly, you need to consider your options when it comes to the selection of coffee capsules. Some machines on the market offer just one specific brand and they don't allow you to alternate between brands and use your own choice of ground coffee. Other machines are more flexible and use cups that count numerous brands that allow you to select among many variations of coffee, tea, cocoa and other beverages.
Dolce Gusto is very popular because of the great taste and the creamy foam that appears with every brew but the selection is much more limited. K-cups offer endless choices of coffee and they make reusable filters as well. So this is probably the most important thing to consider as it really depends on your own preference, and you own wish for flexibility and freedom. So consider your options well before you buy a single serve coffee maker, because chances are that you will be sticking with it once you get used to it.